frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alert: Beginning Tuesday, June 25th, we will be freezing this site and migrating the content and forums to our new home at https://forums.intel.com/s/topic/0TO0P000000PqZDWA0/intel-neural-compute-sticks. Check it out now!

[Error 7] Toolkit Error: USB Failure. Code: Error opening device

2»

Comments

• Windows 7 / Virtual Box 5.2.4 r119785 (Qt5.6.2) / Ubuntu 16.04. Windows cannot locate driver for MA2X5X, but also same error after Make Examples.

• I am running Ubuntu 16 on VBox and I managed to solve error "Toolkit error USB failure :No devices found" encountered when running "$ make examples" by performing the following : At VirtualBox Manager ->Settings ->USB->USB Device Filters-> highlight existing "Movidius VSC Loopback Device"->right click->
    Add Filter from Device->select "Movidius Ltd.Movidius MA2X5X->OK. Then I go to Ubuntu, reboot and rerun "~/workspace/ncsdk $ make examples" and it ran smoothly ! Hope this helps others who encountered the same issue.

• Thanks hiking1. This really helps to resolve the issue. I have been debugging this for weeks...

• hiking1.

I have no options available at the VirtualBox Manager -> Settings -> USB-> USB Device Filters->
    Where did the "Movidius VSC Loopback Device" come from?
    Windows can't even read my compute stick, no driver available.
    I'm wondering if my stick has a defective software load.

• ThomasLafay

Try inserting your neural stick in the VM environment. It should be able to detect something.

Did you manage to see Movidius MA2X5X in your selection?

• During the initial loading of VBOX/Ubuntu, Windows would at least attempt to locate a driver for the MA2X5X and I could see the MA2X5X with Windows Explorer, now I get nothing. Tried inserting the Compute Stick in a different machine running Windows 10 to determine if the MA2X5X was at least visible on the USB port, no acknowledgement or attempt to load a driver. I have zero visibility of the MA2X5X in any layer, Windows 7, Vbox or Ubuntu.

• This is a known existing issue between Windows 7 and VBox. After installing the Virtualbox Expansion pack that provides support for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0,; I then reinstalled the VBox USB drivers detailed at this link --> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39104

Hope it helps.

• @hiking1 Do you know what are the steps for vmware workstation? I spent several hours trying to figure out the settings that you mentioned for VirtualBox but I couldn't get them.

• @Tome_at_Intel : Do you have any suggestions on the issue I posted in my previous comment?

• @Tome_at_Intel : Thank you. That solution works for me.

• I'm having a similar issue. It's weird.
    Using Ubuntu 16.04 guest on Windows 10 with VirtualBox.
    If I add as a USB 3.0 The Movidius does not appear at all. USB 2.0 it's there

andrew@Movidius:~$ lsusb -v | grep ovid
    Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
    iManufacturer 1 Movidius Ltd.
    iProduct 2 Movidius MA2X5X

When I run 'make examples', it gets down to "making check" when you hear the USB unplug sound and get the error "[Error 7] Toolkit Error: USB Failure. Code: Error opening device" and lsusb no longer finds it/

andrew@Movidius:~$ lsusb -v | grep ovid

Any ideas?

• @RiceAD We are aware of this issue. At the moment, the current NCSDK (2.05) has an issue running on virtual machines. Other threads: https://ncsforum.movidius.com/discussion/919/ncsdk-2-05-not-working-in-virtualbox-5-2-with-ubuntu-16-04-04#latest

• edited August 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down

@Tome_at_Intel Dear Tome, I installed it successfully month ago (not VM, VB...etc) on Raspberry Pi. Unluckily, I am facing the same problem today. One difference is python 2.7 (success) v.s. python 3.5 (fail)

/usr/local/bin/ncsdk/Controllers/FileIO.py:65: UserWarning: You are using a large type. Consider reducing your data sizes for best performance
    Blob generated
    W: [ 0] ncDeviceOpen:533 failed to find device
    [Error 7] Toolkit Error: USB Failure. Code: Error opening device
    Makefile:30: recipe for target 'profile' failed
    make[3]: *** [profile] Error 255

I have no idea why and how to deal with.

Thanks a lot

• @Sramctc Which version of the NCSDK are you using? Can you share which applications you tried to run and failed with?

• @Tome_at_Intel
    I use the latest version (2.05) of NCSDK today (download from web site). I am not sure (really forget) which version was installed last time, as I used git clone https://github.com/movidius/ncsdk. But I still keep the working one in other SD.

Thanks

• @Sramctc Can you share which application you were using that failed with python3?

• @Tome_at_Intel Dear Tome,

pi@raspberrypi:~/workspace/ncappzoo/apps/hello_ncs_py $ python3 hello_ncs.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "hello_ncs.py", line 14, in
    fx.SetGlobalOption(fx.GlobalOption.LOG_LEVEL, 0)
    AttributeError: module 'mvnc.mvncapi' has no attribute 'SetGlobalOption'

Thanks

• @Sramctc So it seems like you cloned the NCSDK 1 version of the NCAPPZOO and you have NCSDK 2 installed. Try cloning the NCSDK 2 version using this command: git clone -b ncsdk2 https://github.com/movidius/ncappzoo and running the same application. Please let me know if this works for you. Thanks.

• @Tome_at_Intel

pi@raspberrypi:~/workspace/ncappzoo/apps/hello_ncs_py $ make run

making run
    python3 hello_ncs.py;
    E: [ 0] dispatcherEventSend:730 Write failed -1

Hello NCS! Device opened normally.
    Goodbye NCS! Device closed normally.
    NCS device working.
    pi@raspberrypi:~/workspace/ncappzoo/apps/hello_ncs_py $ python3 hello_ncs.py
    Hello NCS! Device opened normally.
    Goodbye NCS! Device closed normally.
    NCS device working.
    pi@raspberrypi:~/workspace/ncappzoo/apps/hello_ncs_py $

Just do it again , is it OK?

Thanks

• @Sramctc Looks like it worked. Please try other applications and let me know if they work for you also.

• @Tome_at_Intel Many thanks, I will try other applications in few days and let you know at once.

• @Tome_at_Intel
    Is this issue resolved? let me know if any solution.

I still get the error "error 7 toolkit error usb failure. code error opening device". I am using Ubuntu Virtual box on WIndows 7.
    PLease let me know if any solution is found.

• I get this error

W: [ 0] ncDeviceOpen:528 ncDeviceOpen() XLinkBootRemote returned error 3
    Error - Could not open NCS device.

My Host is mac and i can see device configuration.
    Movidius MyriadX:

Product ID: 0x2485
          Vendor ID: 0x03e7
          Version: 0.01
          Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
          Manufacturer: Movidius Ltd.
          Location ID: 0x14100000 / 10
          Current Available (mA): 500
          Current Required (mA): 500
          Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

I'm using Virtualbox and i can also see device in there
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03e7:2485
    Device Descriptor:
    bLength 18
    bDescriptorType 1
    bcdUSB 2.00
    bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
    bDeviceSubClass 0
    bDeviceProtocol 0
    bMaxPacketSize0 64
    idVendor 0x03e7
    idProduct 0x2485
    bcdDevice 0.01
    iManufacturer 1 Movidius Ltd.
    iProduct 2 Movidius MyriadX

Still test programs don't work? Anyone have any insights?

• Hi @ashwin.rayaprolu
    Did you create filters for your virtual machine when installing? Here is the link for instructions on how to do that (this page is for installing the ncsdk on a virtual machine, but the process is almost the same for OpenVINO).

Sincerely,
    Sahira

This discussion has been closed.