frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alert: Beginning Tuesday, June 25th, we will be freezing this site and migrating the content and forums to our new home at https://forums.intel.com/s/topic/0TO0P000000PqZDWA0/intel-neural-compute-sticks. Check it out now!

Movidius - Solution to dispatcherEventSend -1 io error (NCSDK 2) on VM

** This is a suggested solution, not a problem. **

There has been quite a few people lately who seem to have problems with making the examples of the NCSDK 2 on a VM. After a few days of work I finally managed to solve the problem on my end, so here is the solution that will hopefully help others in the same situation.

MY CONFIGURATION: Using Movidius' NCS on a Windows 10 host and Ubuntu 16.04 guest in VirtualBox. Fresh NCSDK 2.08 install.

Step 1:

In the running Ubuntu VM, go to ~/ncsdk/api/scr/common/components/XLink/pc/.

Step 2:

Open XLinkPlatform.c in a text/code editor.

For NCSDK 2.05 users: The file is called UsbLinkPlatform.c

Step 3:

At approx. line 248 (just Ctrl-F the following), change the condition:

if (ss > 1024*1024*10)
    ss = 1024*1024*10;

to:

if (ss > 1024*1024)
    ss = 1024*1024;

(don't forget to save the file; do chmod if needed for permissions)

Step 4:

In ~/ncsdk/api/src/, run the command:

sudo make install

*If for some reason you don't have libusb.h and get errors about it, try running this command first:

sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev

Step 5:

In ~/ncsdk/examples/, run:

make

The examples should now run correctly (you should see the results of the inference by the various models and such).

As for an explanation, I sadly do not quite understand what causes this bug specifically, but I would think that it is related to either:

• The VM's capacity;
  • The NCS's capacity;
  • Some USB limitations/problems with latest releases of either NCSDK or Windows 10.

Anyway, if this doesn't work, try lowering even more the number in the condition (Step 3).

Comments