frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alert: This site is migrating to our new home at https://forums.intel.com/s/topic/0TO0P000000PqZDWA0/intel-neural-compute-sticks. Please visit us there!

NCSDK on Linux Mint?

I'm trying to install the SDK on a Linux Mint system (v 18.2, kernel v 4.10) and an AMD 1950X CPU. I'm getting the error message:
Your current combination of linux distribution and distribution version is not officially supported!
Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, is there any way I can bypass this check and try to install anyway?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've got the same issue :neutral:

• @Av8or1ab, @etc_26, as mentioned in the "technical Specifications" section of https://developer.movidius.com/, NCSDK installation scripts support only x86_64 running Ubuntu 16.04 and RPI3 Model B running Stretch.

That being said, you can definitely run NCSDK on other platforms/OS as long as you install the dependencies yourself. This article is a good reference since it compiles and installs NCSDK's API framework from source - https://movidius.github.io/blog/ncs-apps-on-rpi/. Although the article uses RPI as a platform, you can reproduce the steps on any Linux machine.

• @AshwinVijayakumar
    I followed the tutorial on the blog and every thing worked just fine installed on linux mint :)
    Thanks

EDIT:
    The hello_ncs example works but when trying to run another example from ncappzoo for example stream_infer i get the following error
    make[1]: mvNCCompile: Command not found

• @GoldenWings, I see that all of the instructions ran without any issues, including ldconfig which is needed to make the necessary links and cache libmvnc.so. Just as a sanity check, can you reboot your system and try again? Also try running make and make run in hello_ncs_cpp, just to rule out issues with python bindings.

I presume you are using running Cinnamon (64-bit) on x86_64? Will try to prep a mint system over the holidays and test the installation. Please let us know if figure out the issue before that.

• @AshwinVijayakumar i restarted my pc and i run make and make run and it worked succesfuly
    It seems that mvNCCompile, mvNCProfile and mvNCCheck has not been installed for some reason..

Yes i am running 64 bit Cinnamon .

• @GoldenWings, glad it worked - I don't have to go dumpster diving for my old laptop anymore :P.

It seems that mvNCCompile, mvNCProfile and mvNCCheck has not been installed for some reason

Yes, that's expected because the instructions are to install NCSDK in API-only mode.

Excerpt from https://movidius.github.io/blog/ncs-apps-on-rpi/

The API-only mode allows you to develop apps on the Pi even though the toolkit is not installed. The limitation with this mode is the inability to profile, check/validate and compile neural networks into binary graph files.

• and how can we install the toolkit on anything but Ubuntu 16?

• Installed requirements on Mint 18.2.

XPS-13-9350 ncsdk-1.10.01.01 # ./install.sh

Blah, blah...

Movidius Neural Compute Toolkit Setup.
    Checking OS and version...
    Your current combination of linux distribution and distribution version is not officially supported!

Seems so close!

XPS-13-9350 hello_ncs_py # python3 hello_ncs.py
    Hello NCS! Device opened normally.
    Goodbye NCS! Device closed normally.
    NCS device working.

Same on Pi

Assume mvNCCompile: Command not found is due to sdk not installing.

• Just to notice that if you do not have lsb_release package on your system for some reason you also will get the message
    "Your current combination of linux distribution and distribution version is not officially supported!"

• Linux Mint 18.3 is based on Ubuntu 16.06 and to have the installation working, just:

Make sure you have all dependencies:
    a. dependencies copied from rpi installation instructions:

sudo apt-get install -y libusb-1.0-0-dev libprotobuf-dev libleveldb-dev libsnappy-dev libopencv-dev libhdf5-serial-dev protobuf-compiler libatlas-base-dev git automake byacc lsb-release cmake libgflags-dev libgoogle-glog-dev liblmdb-dev swig3.0 graphviz libxslt-dev libxml2-dev gfortran python3-dev python-pip python3-pip python3-setuptools python3-markdown python3-pillow python3-yaml python3-pygraphviz
    python3-h5py python3-nose python3-lxml python3-matplotlib python3-numpy python3-dateutil python3-skimage python3-scipy python3-six python3-networkx

( I needed to install protobuf library manually with: pip3 install protobuf )

b. Additionally, libboost: sudo apt install libboost*

c. clone the git repository to a preferred location: git clone https://github.com/movidius/ncsdk.git

d. run: sudo make install (this will result in an error, but will create the /opt/movidius folder with some content

e. Then, when you are sure you are running Linux Mint 18.3, edit the /opt/movidius/NCSDK/install-ncsdk.sh file and comment out the 'exit 1' after the line with warning message:

echo "Your current version of Linux distribution.." etc
    #exit 1

f. run the adjusted script: sudo ./install-ncsdk.sh

This should result in a working installation of the API and the other mvtools tools.