frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCS would greatly benefit from supporting computer vision functionalities (e.g. MDK)

@Tome_at_Intel: I think that there is great potential for using the NCS for computer vision applications, especially on low-power platforms such as the Raspberry Pi. Since the Myriad processors seem to directly aim at this use case, I am surprised that it is actually not possible to use this functionality with any of the devices currently available to non-OEMs:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that all of these devices only work together with the NC SDK, which currently only supports Caffe and TensorFlow.

I've been tinkering with the NCS for a while now, however, my intention was to use it for tasks such as image filtering, feature detection, stereo matching and visual odometry. Unfortunately, at the moment it seems not to be suitable for this type of applications.

I think that the NCS is a good product and that it has great potential for computer vision tasks in mobile robots, quadcopters and dozens of other vision-based applications. However, at the moment the only thing you can do with it is image classification. It's probably a nice experiment to get a deep convolutional neural network running on a Raspberry Pi, and maybe it's targeting educational purposes, but I really can't see any meaningful real-life applications for the NCS in combination with the NC SDK in it's current form. So I wonder what the long-term goal is.

While reading through this forum I found many discussions addressing computer vision and the MDK, so there seem to be many other developers who are interested in this subject, however I could not find all the answers I was looking for.

So I would like to ask the following questions:

1. Is there any device (such as the above mentioned) available that supports computer vision functionalities?
  2. Can you give us some information on why the MDK is not supported by (or made available for) the NCS?

Everyone who is interested in computer vision is welcome to comment.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Intel won't support you or provide an SDK unless you are willing to commit to high volumes or have lots of $$$. It's kind of silly if you ask me. Why not just release the tools, sell the chips on Digikey at a huge markup, and charge for support if it's really needed?

• I am sure that Intel/Movidius invested a lot of effort in the MDK, and I can understand that they have to consider the impact of making it available more easily. However, recently a lot of software has been made available under a "community license" model by many big players, allowing free non-commercial use. Just take the Intel C++ compiler, TBB, IPP, or MS Visual Studio Community edition for example. These companies along with many others already found out by themselves that this is a mutually beneficial approach.

It would be great to see this development happen here as well.

• edited May 25 Vote Up0Vote Down

UP (subsidiary of AAEON Technology Inc.) just started a Kickstarter campaign link where they, among other thins, offer tiny externsion cards containing up to three Intel Movidius Myriad 2 processors.

Unfortunately, SDK and compiler support is limited to NC SDK.

• @Intel, @movidius:

Hello Intel / Movidius,

it's been a month now. Any comment?